Summer Months Mean An Increase In Road Construction Zones
Road and highway construction projects increase between the months of June and September. All of us have come upon road projects and have been asked to slow down or stop. If you get into an accident, your personal auto insurance will most likely cover you, depending on your specific auto insurance coverage. In the past five years, over 4,400 people have died because of auto accidents in highway work zones. The drivers and passengers are the ones most often injured. Remember, road workers are just doing their jobs. Be kind and follow instructions.
Auto Safety Tips
- Pay attention to signs and workers.
- Slow down.
- Calm down and don't rush. Remember, the temporary inconvenience of a construction zone will pay off with greatly improved roads soon.
- Avoid changing the radio station, using a mobile phone, eating, or other distractions that can remove your concentration from the road.
- Fines may be doubled for moving traffic violations in work zones.
- Use seatbelts. Make sure everyone in your vehicle uses a seatbelt or child safety seat. Buckling up is the best defense against death or injury in the event of an accident.
- When stopped in traffic, leave a safety zone between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Change lanes only where pavement markings indicate, and only when traffic conditions permit.
- Do not resume normal speed until you see roadway signs indicating it is safe to do so.