Agritourism Risks Are Very Real, Are You Covered?
Agritourism is any activity that allows members of the general public on your farm property for recreational, entertainment, or educational purposes. Agritourism activities include everything from a bed and breakfast, a corn maze, an educational field trip, a store or wine tasting, to “pick your own” and roadside farm stands. It is important to understand your increased liability, by having visitors on your property.
Almost 30 million children visit farms and ranches each year according to the US government. Most visitors are unfamiliar with the agricultural environment. Owners need to ensure the safety and health of all guests visiting their operations. Here are a few safety tips for you to consider as part of your Agritourism activities:
• Develop emergency plans just in case the worst happens.
• If you serve food make sure you follow all the state food handling policies.
• Make sure you have traffic control procedures and extra staff if needed.
• Address the safety issues with all ponds, machinery, and chemicals.
• Do you use outside vendors? If so, make sure you obtain certificates of insurance.
• If you have rides of any kind you should require a waiver of liability.
• Have safety equipment such as fire extinguishers and first aid kits throughout the farm.
• Use signs to post rules and vehicle speeds.
• Train your employees on all safety measures.
Berry Curtis Insurance is a family owned and operated insurance agency dedicated to providing quality insurance solutions to clients near Redding, California since 1986. When you work with Berry Curtis Insurance, you’ll experience the exceptional service and attention to detail that you can only find with an independent insurance agency.